Friday, August 10, 2007

August 10 Tom Price to Carnarvon (WA)

OZ Travel Log for 8.10.2007 Tom Price to Carnarvon (WA)

Who are you going to call....!
Its midnight at Tom Price caravan site when there is movement against the front of your tent. Down comes the flap and what we have in front of us is a tail of the roo against the front of the tent. And the roo is taking a long drop with a proper follow-up with a healthy piss. Fear not for I got everything on my camera!!



Webster's according to Norm:
The word Black: The color of water in the deep sink after washing your motorcycle jacket for the first time in 18 months.

On with the log. It was to Port Hedland and staying at the Big 4 caravan site where the cost of a non-powered site was $30.00 per night, the highest I've paid since my travels.



Ran down to Roebourne and Cossack to see where the pearling industry really started. Roebourne is still live and well but the town of Cossack is no longer occupied but they do have a trustee that has maintained the old buildings.
The next day for a bit of excitement it was following the dirt road that ran parallel to the railroad track south for 60km. Actually got stopped by a employee of the railroad as to whether or not I knew where I was going.........and here was in me bright day-glow jacket, GPS and EPIRB. How you figure!



If you think dead Kangaroo’s smell bad on the open road wait until you get a whiff of cattle!


Port Hedland salt mining


An unidentified object of great concern to the local populace……



Porthedland-Karratha-Dampier-Forttescue River Roadhouse
Port Hedland to Fortescue River Roadhouse was my next stop....If I don't get away from roadhouse food I'll never put on any weight! On my travel south I did pull into Karratha for a bite when I ran across a couple from the South Island, NZ. She wanted to buy a BMW F650GS to go off road and he wanted her to remain on the seal road in her travels. She was having none of this and loved the way my bike was setup. Both of them where in their late 70's......
Dampier was another stop and what a great town is was. Clean and great access to the water.

Fortescue River Roadhouse-Exmouth-Yardie Homesite
Fortescue to Exmouth: Exmouth with the Ningaloo Reef has to be the place to be for underwater photography. The reef is close enough to access from shore and it has not been destroyed by developers yet but I see another Broome in the making with a bigger impact from tourist. Broome is a total disaster with people, people and more people. Think of Honolulu and you have Broome.
If nothing else happens between now and this time next year you will find me in Exmouth with dive gear for a month or two.
Exmouth was for 3 days and I stayed at Yardie Homestead about 35km from town. Great site and away from town. Exmouth has a bakery that out does itself, its there, fast and service is excellent.



One of the many hazards traveling Western Australia


Women during water colors by the numbers…….



One of many, many Emu’s seen over my travels

Exmouth-Coral Bay-Minilya Roadhouse-Carnarvon
Exmouth to Carnarvon: My biggest concern going south was there going to be any wild flowers. No sooner was I out of town and it was wild flowers all the way into Carnarvon, green, yellow, red, pink, white, purple ....it was a ride that was worth every km. I finally got to the point of taking so many pictures I would never make to Carnarvon.






Now that I am heading south to Perth, the weather is going to get cold, wet and windy. Not that I am looking forward to it but the Nullarbor (gale force winds at the present) is going to be a bit of a challenge but with the winds on your backside it will be a great push!!

While staying at Carnarvon I did make a side trip to the blowhole and the site where the HMAS Sydney was lost during the Second World War.



A bit like the beach in Waikiki, Hawaii minus the 10,000 tourist



No comments: